Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My first days in Bangkok

My internet connection tends to drop on me, probably because I'm upstairs in my room. The signal is stronger downstairs. Loading pictures takes a while. Anyway,that's why some posts will get more pictures a few days after I originally post them.

Yesterday was Tuesday for me, and my first day in Bangkok. I met some cool people and did a lot of walking around. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted all of my pictures from yesterday. Go me! Fortunately, I hadn't taken a lot and can retake them all easily. I hope to be able to show you tonight or tomorrow some of the beautiful religous temples that are just all over this city. They really are amazing. Today I managed to visit the Golden Buddha (5.5 tons of solid gold!), the Reclining Buddha, and a few various Chinese temples in China town. I also took a water taxi, which was sweet.

To work out a day of walking, I got a Thai massage. Those of you thinking dirty thoughts, put them away. Yes, the oft advertised "bang bang massage" is readily available here, but this one was purely on the level. It was given at Wat Pho, the official Thai massage school here in Bangkok. This tiny Thai woman had fingers like stone and could have easily accomplished a Vulcan neck pinch, if anyone could. She even cracked pretty much every vertebrae in my back. If you have the chance, I recommend getting one.

I have to say I feel remarkably comfortable here too. Sure, there are a ton of other tourists and travelers everywhere, but the feeling even from the Thai people is pretty easy going. Many want my money, that's clear, but I feel safe walking around. The poverty is disconcerting at times, but I've come to expect that as I travel. Just tonight, walking home (not alone, Mom :-) was easy and relaxed.

The food is fantastic. Street vendors everywhere with any number of items. I can't wait to try more, it's a gastronomic paradise for me!

Temple guard at The Golden Buddha



The Golden Buddha


Chinatown market


Temple guard at Wat Pho


The Reclining Buddha (note size of door in background)


Garden statue at Wat Pho, just because he makes me laugh


5 comments:

  1. Why ya gotta take a picture of Wat Fo while he's cleaning out his nose? That's juts mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant Wat Pho. I'm an idiot. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, he does look like he's cleaning his nose! But I mis-typed. Wat Pho isn't his name, it's the temple I found him at. I edited to correct the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Bangkok. Wish I was back there with you. Make sure you drink about 4 Thai coffees per day from plastic bags for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, Steph, I haven't found the plastic bag vendor yet. I've seen people carrying them though. I've had quite a few Thai milk teas, but I'll go find the Thai coffee today, just for you :-)

    ReplyDelete