Saturday, October 17, 2009

Heading North

The time has come to say goodbye to my beautiful beach. Tomorrow night I leave for Bangkok, and from there I'm headed to Kanchanaburi. Ever see the move "Bridge over the river Kwai"? Yeah, I'm gonna go see that bridge.

My week here has been amazing. I haven't worn shoes all week! I dove at least two times every day this past week, puting my dive total at 10. These included a deep dive down to 30 meters and a night dive, which was absolutely amazing. The undersea world is completely different at night. I saw puffer fish, blue spotted sting rays, and giant barracuda. These suckers were huge. I'd turn my flash light and boom, one would be hanging out right off my side. So cool. Unfortunately, I of course don't have any pictures of those, but I did do a photography dive and have included some of the pictures below.

Oh yeah, I also added a few more pictures to the Koh Tao post.

Today, I was foolish enough to try to learn how to ride a motor scooter. 4 of us wanted to head to a nice snorkeling beach and motor bike/scooter is pretty much how everyone gets around here. 2 in my group had ridden before and assured me that it was easy and I'd get the hang of it in no time. Yeah, I fell for it. Now, we're not talking the tiny little mopeds that buzz around the streets of the US. No, this bike had all terrain tires and weighed more than me. That should have been my first warning. Seconds after starting out on the bike, I realized that I wasn't only learning to ride, I was learning to ride on the opposite side of the street! Forgot about that. Good timing me. Still, all went well on the city streets. Then we got some bad directions that took us down a horrible, bumpy, rutted, hilly dirt road. Dirt bikes would have been more appropriate. Myself and my friend Regina, from Denmark, were the bike newbies and were really struggling with them, so of course, we end up getting separated from the two who know what they're doing. We found ourselves semi-stranded on this no where road, nearly loosing control every second. We reminded ourselves that we're strong women, and finally got our arses out of there. The trip back on the paved roads was actually fun compared to the dirt. Never did get to go snorkeling, though. All in all, I did ok. Only came out of the ordeal with one bruise :-)

Tomorrow I think I'll rest. Between the diving and the devil bike, I'm exhausted!


Getting ready to descend
 

Awesome jellyfish


Sea urchin


One of the white eyed moray eels I saw


Me, diving!


Anemonie


The amazing undersea world


See ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment