Thursday, October 8, 2009

Breathe

I was a bit caught off guard yesterday, by a Buddha. Yesterday was a day full of Buddhas, as have been all of my days here, so I don't know why one in particular had such an effect on me.

I was flying solo for the first time, as my travel buddies from my hostel headed off to another city that morning. I started the day by dropping into an Indian Restaurant, where they spoke no English and I no Thai. My phrase book didn't help. So, they made me something, I don't know what. It was two thin tortilla like breads, with a thin layer of something between them, and a grey sauce to spread on top. Don't have a clue what I ate, but it was yummy.

I then spent the rest of the day walking the city and exploring various religious and historical monuments. Wats (temples) are a dime a dozen here, so there's a Buddha pretty much where ever you turn. I also toured the Grand Palace, which was fittingly the glitziest area I've seen so far. I saw the tiny Emerald Buddha, actually made of Jade, that has apparently been a war trophy for a number of years. I hear they had it in Laos for 200 years before the Thai took it back in the 1700's. Kinda reminds me of college football.

Then, as the day worn down, I treated myself to dinner. I picked a little restaurant near the Palace and had a shrimp/coconut tip curry. It was so yummy! The best part is that "treating" myself to a nicer dinner means paying just under $4, rather than the $1 and change  I pay at the street vendors. Love that.

Finally, I headed home. This is where my Buddha reached out too me. I had just emerged into a large intersection, only a block away from my hostel. I was passing yet another Wat, which by now I'm getting used to finding. As I passed the front entry, something about it called me in. At first, I was just looking around for a good photo op. As I walked further in, though, I began to realize that this one was different than the rest I'd seen. It was quite, more simple. People were there to worship. I was the only Westerner there at the time. I slipped my shoes off and made my way into the great room, where a giant gold Buddha sat, forever in his peaceful cross-legged position. Although, he sat on an ornate base, this Buddha was for the most part unadorned. The room was massive and open, to the point that there were even birds flying around the ceiling. People sat in prayer, and for whatever reason I sat too. I'm not a religious person, but I didn't need to be of any belief to find peace in this room. I sat, and my camera was forgotten. I sat, and listened to the music and the quiet chatter in the room. I sat and looked up into the peaceful, almost sleepy eyes of the Buddha. Suddenly, the music was gone, the chatter faded, I felt the need to close my eyes, and all I knew was my own breath. For just a few seconds, all my attention went to following my breath in and out of my body.

All too soon, a noise to my side broke me from my state. I wasn't sure why that quiet moment had happened, but I just went with it. Eventually I made my way back out of the room. As I was walking toward the front entrance to leave, a Monk caught my eye and we smiled at each other. Then I made my way home.

I didn't take any pictures from inside the temple. Even though it was not a silent place, it was still a very peaceful one. I wouldn't raise my camera in the face of that. Instead, I found a discreet location from the outside where my Buddha was still visable. I'll share him with you. I hope you all find peaceful moments in your lives, no matter when, where, or why they come to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment