Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Leaving Laos

I spent 3 full days in Vientiane, arriving Friday evening and leaving Tuesday afternoon. If anything, my stop here was a refreshing break, a good resting point before undertaking the insanity that is Hanoi. As tourism in Laos has only really picked up in the past 6 years or so, Vientiane is still refreshingly small and quiet. A city of roughly 500,000, it simply doesn't strike you as the capital of an entire country. A local told me that 10 years ago Vientiane still had quite a few dirt roads. Now thoroughly modern, traffic is still light enough that you can cross the street without waiting for the lights and like the rest of Laos, everything closes down between 10pm and midnight. In the day time, the slight hustle of the streets is a mere buzz in the background, the honking of a vehicle being the loudest sound you'll hear. Come night time, the city goes absolutely silent. This is a strong reflection of the traditions and culture of the Laos people, who are also extremely polite and quiet. It is rude to yell or raise your voice in public, even to call to someone at a distance. Even the tuk tuk drivers are considerate, taking a polite no as an answer, in contrast to the drivers in many parts of Thailand who persist until you are out of earshot.

As there are not a wealth of attractions to keep you running from place to place here, I allowed myself time to sit for hours in cafes, sipping coffee and browsing the internet. I walked quite a bit, taking in a few monuments and temples, including That Luang, the national symbol of Laos. I was lucky enough to sit in on various Buddhist ceremonies, including a large all night worship designed to welcome new Buddha statues into the temple. I had a great time walking a location here known as the Buddha Park, a collection of eclectic and whimsical cement creations that incorporate both Buddhist and Hindu figures. I even took a yoga class. My muscles are still complaining two days later :-)

Right now I'm passing the time in the international airport, an airport consisting of a whole 3 departure gates. I'm flying to Hanoi today, following the recommendation of many fellow travelers, rather than enduring the 24 plus bus ride. I'm very much looking forward to Vietnam and can't wait to see what it has to offer. By the time I get this posted, as the airport has no wifi, I'm sure I'll be well on my way to finding out.

Independence monument, built in the early 60's and unfinished to this day


Street vendor, carrying sticky rice baskets


Sticky rice baskets


That Luang by day


That Luang by night


Gate detail in front of a lit statue. Idea for this picture courtesy of Melody K.


Two old men at a monk ceremony


A participant of the night long worship welcoming the new Buddhas. Hundreds of people dressed in white sat beneath thousands of white threads, all of which lead back to the Buddhas.


Me, being a little silly at the Buddha Park


Inhabitant of the Buddha Park


Reclining Buddha in the Park


More park inhabitants




1 comment:

  1. Hey, hey hey....

    The picture of two old man, the one with white shirt is my grand-pa....WoWoWoWo...

    Thanks so much for puting this picture! I am now studying in overseas! You are about making me missing my home town so, so much.

    ReplyDelete