Thursday, November 12, 2009

Beyond first impressions of Hanoi

I'd like to write that Hanoi simply made a bad first impression and has since charmed me off my feet. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. It's not as bad as it first seemed, but still nothing that's going to keep me around. It is, simply, a very large city with tons of people and little to see or do. I've walked around a bit and even found that the streets manage to get a bit calm(er) later at night, took in a museum, and found a swimming pool to cool off in today, but mainly have stayed in my hostel, lazily enjoying the movie room. I'm not the only one. Most people I've met seem to agree. Hanoi doesn't call to them, so the movie room is a popular place. Not to mention the supressive heat and humidity make you instinctually seek out air conditioning.

Tomorrow I'm leaving on a cruise of Ha Long Bay, the reason most people come to Hanoi. It's an incredible land of mist shrouded islands and archipelagos, and is what is becoming my new favorite thing: a Unesco World Heritage site. So, three or four days without internet or communication, but I should have some darn good pictures when I get back.

Hanoi Traffic. Imagine this times thousands, with constant horns honking. Wish I could get the video to load.


A game the men play on the streets


Vietnamese woman


No folks, those aren't shadows, they're power lines and they hang as low as my head. Scary.


No comments:

Post a Comment